Wednesday, September 19, 2012

We've "Bean" Busy

My boys are very sensory, as I think most kids are. When we're baking they love touching the flour, play dough is a real favorite, and they'd enjoy nothing more than playing in the dirt all day. They'll run to anything that they can stick their hands into and dig with, without thinking of the consequences or what Mommy will say! I try to give them opportunities to have sensory experiences. There are so many ways to do that. I remember a long time ago when Big Brother Jr. was a baby, and I poured a kilo of flour into a bowl and let them play with it. I had flour all over my house for days, but they had so much fun! It lasted for a long time- I just kept sweeping it up into a pile so they could dig into it again. These activities inevitably end up all over, despite my warnings and precautions to keep it in the bin/bowl/pan/box. There are endless themed sensory bins that you can create, encouraging imagination as well as addressing the sensory aspect.

Here we have a simple sensory bin made of black beans, popcorn kernels, and a few kidney beans for color. It's what I had in the house at that time, and since then we've enjoyed many afternoons with these beans. I give them different equipment to use- cups and spoons, pots and pans, trucks, or an assortment. I have to be constantly alert to make sure to sweep it up when it gets out of hand, otherwise I'll have a serious mess to deal with, instead of just a major mess. I have to admit, it is a challenge for me to remain calm while they play with the beans because they do end up scattered from one corner to the other. But I take them out every so often anyway, because the entertainment it provides for them is still worth it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...