Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Marshmallow Structures

Here's a great activity we did one day, using marshmallows and toothpicks.


I gave them each a pile of marshmallows to use, and I was prepared for them to eat them all before even starting. (It's always best to expect the worst!) But they actually worked hard and made some really creative things! They had a great time doing it, and I got a few minutes without refereeing their fights!

My demonstration:
What they added:

Getting more complex:

At the end they ate their fill of course! But that's all part of the fun. I like giving my kids things to play with that they are not usually allowed to touch, or that they think are special or interesting, and toothpicks and marshmallows fit into that category. I think it's even good for their sensory skills, because soft marshmallows are fun to touch and play with, and fine motor skills as well.

Note: This can also be done with grapes for a healthier version, but it might become very messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...